Szechuan chicken with seaweed.



It's been a while! I've had two hectic weeks of either being overworked or stupidly sick (thank you, Norovirus) but I'm now back in the game ready to get cracking with the diet.

When I saw it Szechuan pepper on the website I do my home shopping on, I was beyond excited, however when the time to came for my delivery they didn't have any in stock. Super gutted, I tried to do the best I could with the ingredients I have. This is a huge mash up of oriental spices and sure, maybe it doesn't taste like the stuff you get from the takeaway, but it does taste very yum and it was worth the syns.

Szechuan chicken with seaweed. 
Serves 2 | Syns per portion: 4

2 chicken fillets, thinly sliced
Finley sliced carrot, peppers and red onion
Bamboo shoots
1 tablespoon of corn flour (3.5)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 teaspoon of five spice
Garlic
Ginger
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 teaspoon of honey (3 syns)
1 drop of nam pla
1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
1 tablespoon Sweet chilli jam (2 syns)
Frylight

For the seaweed:
Finely shredded black cabbage or spring green
Salt and sweetener to taste

Frylight

Step 1: Heavily spray a wok with frylight and heat until super hot, add the vegetables and fry until cooked. Remove from the pan and leave to one side.
Step 2: Coat the chicken with the corn flour, I shook it all up a mixing bowl! Re-frylight the wok and brown the chicken. 
Step 3: Whilst the chicken is browning, mix all the other ingredients together.
Step 4: Add the cooked vegetables to the pan and then stir in the sauce. Once everything is coated, add a splash of water and reduce until the sauce is thick to your liking. Done!

To make the seaweed:

Step 1: Heat the oven to about gas mark 6. Add the shredded cabbage to flat baking tray and cover with salt and sweetner, I used about a teaspoon of each.
Step 2: Spray evenly with frylight and place in the oven for about 10 minutes. Keep checking - if it goes a bit crispy in one place and not in another just shuffle it around a bit.
Step 3: Once suitably crispy, pour into a bowl and serves!

And there you have it. I added a sprinkle of spring onions and sesame seeds and served with some steamed rice!







No comments:

Post a Comment