Red wine and basil beef bolognese.




Day 4: Red wine and basil beef bolognese.
Serves 4 | Syns per portion: 1 (+ HEXa for cheese)

I am a pasta monster. You know how some people binge on chocolate or cake or crisps? I binge on pasta. I could probably eat about ten buckets of the stuff. I actually have a vague memory of when I was a kid and being asked if we could have a house made out of anything in the world, what would it be? I said pasta. I know I lose weight faster when I avoid pasta like the plague, but Slimming World is about being sustainable, so I needed a recipe that was not too pasta heavy but ultra tasty. This does the job! Plenty of meat and veg and served with some wholewheat pasta, perfect.
 
Ingredients:

100mls Red wine (4 syns)
500g Extra lean minced beef
125g Chopped chestnut mushrooms
2 Slices of lean smoked bacon, cut into small strips
2 Diced onions
3 Tbsp Tomato Puree
2 Beef stock pots or cubes
1 Tbsp Garlic powder (or fresh garlic alternative)
A splash of balsamic vinegar
A handful of basil leaves
A small handful of flat-leaf parsley
200ml Boiling water
30g Cheese per person (optional HEXa)

Step 1: In a large frying pan on a moderate to high heat, brown the onions, mushrooms, bacon using fry light. Once browned, add the meat along with 1 stock cube or pot, the garlic powder and fresh basil.

Step 2: Once the meat is fully browned, add the red wine and tomato puree and stir. It’ll make a weird paste, simmer that for a minute or two whilst adding the other stock cube to 200ml boiling water. Add the stock and cook until sauce reduces, if it looks a bit runny add some tomato puree, if it looks a bit thick, add some water and season with salt and pepper if you like.

Step 3: Once sauce is reduced it’s effectively good to eat
, but I like to place it in a preheated oven in a small baking dish for about 30 minutes, just to give it a little more richness. Top with the cheese, sprinkle some basil and parsley!

This is a great batch cooking recipe and serving it with spinach is a great way to get even more superfree. I served mine with spinach, wholewheat spaghetti and my ‘Healthy Extra A’ portion of cheese. Totally delish! 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment